The commercial name of the medication may differ from the brand one. Generic Amoxicillin manufactured by Cadila Pharmaceuticals is available under commercial name Mokcan.
How does the medication work?
Amoxicillin belongs to a group of beta-lactam antibiotics called penicillins. Action mechanism of the medication is related to inhibiting the synthesis of bacterial cells wall. Amoxicillin inhibits the enzyme transpeptidase, interferes with the synthesis of peptidoglycan (structural protein in the bacterial cell wall) in the period of growth and division, causes lysis of the microorganisms. The medication exerts antibacterial action and is effective against a wide variety of microorganisms including gram positive and gram negative bacteria. Bacteria which produce beta-lactamase are resistant to amoxicillin. The medication is active in the acid environment and thus is used in oral administration.
Why is Amoxicillin prescribed?
Amoxicillin is used to treat bacterial infectious diseases caused by susceptible to amoxicillin microorganisms:
- Infections of the respiratory system and ENT infections (sinusitis, pharyngitis, tonsillitis, acute otitis media, bronchitis, pneumonia)
- Infections of the urogenital system (pyelonephritis, pyelitis, cystitis, urethritis, gonorrhea, endomethritis, cervicitis)
- Gastrointestinal infections (peritonitis, enterocolitis, enteric fever, cholangitis, cholecystitis)
- Infections of the skin and soft tissue (erysipelas, impetigo, dermatosis)
- Lyme disease
- Endocarditis (prophylaxis)
When Amoxicillin should not be taken?
Amoxicillin is contraindicated in the following conditions:
- Hypersensitivity to any of the medication ingredients including and penicillins, cephalosporins, carbepenems
- Allergic diathesis
- Bronchial asthma
- Infectious mononucleosis
- Lymphatic leukemia
- Liver failure
- Gastrointestinal diseases in anamnesis (especially colitis caused by antibiotic therapy).
- Kidney failure
- Bleeding in anamnesis
What side effects are possible with the medicine ?
Amoxicillin may cause:
- Allergic reactions: hives, erythema, skin hyperemia, Quincke's edema, dermatitis, exudative erythema
- Digestive system: disbacteriosis, taste changes, ataxia, nausea, diarrhea, stomatitis, glossitis, liver dysfunction, moderate increase of liver's enzymes activity, pseudomembranous colitis.
- CNS: agitation, insomnia, ataxia, confusion, behavior changes, depression, peripheral neuropathy, headache, dizziness, seizure.
- Laboratory indexes: leukopenia, neutropenia, purpura, anemia
- Other: shortness of breath, increased heart rate, interstitial nephritis, vaginal candidiasis, super-infection.
If any of these side effects occur during the treatment seek medical attention immediately.
This is not a full list of possible Amoxicillin side effects. If you notice other adverse effects caused by the preparation inform your doctor or pharmacist.
What are possible drug to drug interactions associated with Amoxicillin?
- Antacids, glucosamine, laxative stimulants, aminoglycosis lower the absorption of amoxicillin.
- Ascorbic drugs increase the absorption.
- Bactericidal antibiotics (aminoglycosides, cephalosporins, cycloserin, vancomycin, rifampicin) exerts synergistic action.
- Bacteriostatic antibiotics (macrolides, chloramphenicol, lincosamides, tetracyclines, sulfanilamides)- antagonistic action.
- Underect blood thinners (amoxicillin inhibits the synthesis of vitamin K)
- Amoxicillin lowers the effectiveness of estrogenic oral contraceptives
- Diuretics, allopurinol, NSAID's, medications which blocks calcium secretion increase the blood levels of amoxicillin
- Amoxicillin lowers the clearance and increases the toxicity metotrexate.
- Amoxicillin enhances the absorption of dygoxin.
Let your doctor know if you are taking any of the above mentioned medicines or other preparations including herbals, vitamins and food supplements as they may change the effectiveness or increase the risk of Amoxicillin side effects.
Additional drug information
The medicines should be kept out of reach and sight of children. You should take the medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Avoid off-label use of the medication. If you are unsure about anything related to Amoxicillin contact your health care provider or pharmacist. You can also apply to our customer support service.