High Blood Pressure Norvasc
The commercial name of the medication may differ from the brand one. Generic Norvasc manufactured by Okasa is available under commercial name Amlip.
How does the medication work?
Norvasc is a II generation calcium channel blocker, the preparation exerts antianginal and hypotensive effects. By binding to specific receptors the preparation inhibits calcium channels thus decreasing the trans-membrane transportation of Ca2+ into the cells of the smooth cardiac muscle. The antianginal effect may be explained by another mechanism dilation of coronary arteries, peripheral arteries and arterioles, thus decreasing afterload and the myocardial need for oxygen.
Why is Norvasc prescribed?
The preparation is prescribed in:
- Arterial hypertension
- Exertional angina
- Vasospastic angina
- Decompensated chronic Heart Failure
When Amlodipine should not be taken?
The drug should not b e taken in cases of:
- Severe arterial hypotension
- Lactation period
The drug should be taken with caution in:
- Arterial hypotension
- Aortic stenosis
- Chronic heart failure
- Liver failure
- Acute myocardial infraction
- Age prior to 18 years
- Elderly age
What side effects are possible with the medicine ?
- CNS: headache, dizziness, severe fatigability, somnolence, tremor, asthenia, weakness, insomnia, nervousness, depression, nightmares, anxiety.
- Gastrointestinal tract: nausea, abdominal pain, jaundice, dry mouth, anorexia, meteorism, dyspepsia, gastritis.
- Cardiovascular system: increased heart rate, labored breathing, flushing, arrhythmia, angina, hypotension, orthostatic hypotension, migraine
- Urogenital system: disturbed sexual function, polyuria, dysuria, nicturia
- Locomotor system: arthralgia, myalgia, myasthenia
- Skin: xerodermia, alopecia, purpura, dermatitis
- Allergic reactions
- Other: vision impairment, conjunctivitis, diplopia, pain in the eyes, accommodation disorder, ringing in the ears, back pain, change of taste, hypoglycemia and etc.
If any of these side effects occur during the treatment seek medical attention immediately.
This is not a full list of possible Norvasc side effects. If you notice other adverse effects caused by the preparation inform your doctor or pharmacist.
What are possible drug to drug interactions associated with Amlodipine?
- Alpha adreno-stimulators
- ACE inhibitors
- Antiarrhythmic drugs
- H2-histamine receptor blockers
- Li+ preparations
- Ca2+ containing preparations
Let your doctor know if you are taking any of the above mentioned medicines or other preparations including herbals, vitamins and food supplements as they may change the effectiveness or increase the risk of Norvasc side effects.
Additional drug information
The medicines should be kept out of reach and sight of children. You should take the medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Avoid off-label use of the medication. If you are unsure about anything related to Amlodipine contact your health care provider or pharmacist. You can also apply to our customer support service.