Menopause is a period in a women's life when her menstrual cycle stops. During menopause, women's organism produce less female sex hormones called estrogens and progesterone. Menopause is common for women in ages between 45 and 55.
Menopause is usually characterized by a number of symptoms which are caused by the insufficiency of female hormones. These symptoms may include: abnormal bleedings, hot flashes, insomnia, vaginal changes, unstable mood, decreased libido, changes in body weight. Some women can also develop osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is a pathological condition which affects the structure of the bones. Clinical investigations show that estrogens possess a protective effects on bones. Estrogens improve the metabolism of calcium in the bone tissue as well enhance the function of osteoblasts. Without estrogens bones became weak and are predisposed to fractures. However, it is not time to despair. Even after menopause a women can stay healthy. There are some health tips which will help women to stay healthy during menopause. These tips include:
- Be physically active. Nearly 30 minutes of moderate physical activity each day will be significantly beneficial for your health.
- Stop smoking. A health care provide can help you with this matter.
- Appropriate nutrition. Try to eat only healthy foods reach in vitamins, minerals and microelements such as fruits, vegetables, whole-grain cereals and others.
- Alcohol limit. Avoid alcohol abuse.
- Weight loss programs. Overweight and obesity are the main risk factors of the aggravation and development of osteoporosis.
- High blood pressure and cholesterol blood levels control.
- Regularly performing bone density tests.
Your health care provide may also prescribe you some medication which used for the treatment and prophylaxis of osteoporosis. This medications include: Evista, Fosamax, Bonviva, Actonel.